Patient assistance is another vital service offered by the DFM. The “Helping Hands” program provides free emergency assistance with diabetes-related medicines and medical supplies once per year to uninsured/underinsured Mississippians. The DFM will also make referrals to pharmaceutical assistance programs and other area agencies. Patients must have current prescriptions and have their medical team or social workers contact the DFM to verify the patient’s need.
- NO ASSISTANCE CAN BE GIVEN TO PATIENTS WHO CALL THE DIABETES FOUNDATION DIRECTLY. The patient’s medical team or medical social worker must contact the DFM at 601-957-7878 or 1-877-DFM-CURE to get a Patient Assistance form faxed to them.
- After the doctor or medical social worker completes and faxes back the Patient Assistance form with copies of the current prescription, we can verify the patient’s current prescription and needs.
- The DFM then works to get one month’s medications and/or supplies to the patient by a number of methods, depending on the patient’s location, the weather conditions, and other factors.
Test strips too expensive?
Explore your options if you are having trouble affording the test strips for your blood glucose meter. Doctors’ offices may be able to offer samples from diabetic supply companies for newly diagnosed patients. If you are having trouble affording strips for the meter your doctor gave you, consider a Reli-On Prime from Walmart which was reviewed by Consumer Reports as being both one of the most accurate and affordable meters available. As of 3/10/14, it costs $16.24 for the meter and $9.00 for 50 test strips.
Speak up at the doctor’s office: Ask your doctor before you leave the office if you can be prescribed a generic brand of your medicine as opposed to the brand name medicine to help you save money.
Shop around: It is remarkable how much difference there is in price for a medication from pharmacy to pharmacy. Shop around and don’t be afraid to have your prescription transferred to get a better deal.
Drug Company Assistance
Novo Nordisk Patient Assistance Program
- GlucaGen Hypokit: glucagon (rDNA) for injection
- Levemir: insulin detemir (rDNA) injection
- Levemir FlexPen: insulin detemir (rDNA) injection
- NovoFine 30G: needles
- NovoFine 32G Tip: needle tip
- Novolin 70/30 Vials: insulin (rDNA)
- Novolin N Vials: 70% NPH/30% regular human insulin (rDNA)
- Novolin R Vials: regular, human insulin injection
- NovoLog: insulin analog injection
- NovoLog 70/30 FlexPen: insulin analog injection
- NovoLog FlexPen: insulin analog injection
- NovoLog Mix 70/30: insulin analog injection
- NovoTwist 32G: needles
- Victoza 6mg/ml 2x3 mL: liraglutide (rDNA) injection
- Victoza 6mg/ml 3x3 mL: liraglutide (rDNA) injection
Lilly Patient Assistance Program
- Glucagon: glucagon
- Humalog Injection: insulin lispro injection
- Humalog KwikPen: insulin lispro injection
- Humalog KwikPen Mix 50/50: insulin lispro injection (rDNA)
- Humalog KwikPen Mix 75/25: insulin lispro injection (rDNA)
- Humalog Mix 50/50: 50% insulin Lispro Protamine Suspension, 50% insulin Lispro Injection (rDNA)
- Humalog Mix 75/25: human insulin lispro (rDNA)
- Humulin 70/30: isophane human insulin (rDNA); human insulin (rDNA)
- Humulin N Injection: NPH human insulin (rDNA)
- Humulin R Injection: regular human insulin (rDNA)
- Humulin R U-500 Injection: regular insulin human (rDNA Origin)(concentrated)